Monday, September 21, 2015

Infertility has taught me a few things....


When I was younger I would hear a story here or there about infertility. I was naïve and figured it was a rare occurrence that people had a hard time getting pregnant. Now that I am older I realize it is so common. In fact the more I understand the process I realize that getting pregnant and having children is simply a miracle, and a blessing, one that our Heavenly Father has given to us. The trial of infertility is not fun and for pretty much all of it, it is terrible. I happen to be an optimist and I always try and look at the bright side of things. So as I am going through this I am trying to find the positives and there aren’t a whole lot but I will tell you a few of the things I have learned or things that have helped me get through this.
#1: My Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ LOVE ME. There are many times where I have just prayed to get through a day where I don’t feel the ache or pain. And there are days when my prayers are answered and his grace allows me a day without worry or aching. “Grace refers primarily to the divine help and strength we receive through the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ.”   He literally gives us power and strength to get through our trials when we no longer think we can. But we must do all that we can do, when we give it our all and it just isn’t enough he will complete us and make our trials lighter through the atonement .  I know that he answers my prayers, and while he may not answer it in the obvious way of helping us have children he answers them in small ways that allow me to continue to live my life. He will send me simple things to remind me that he is there and that he knows me and I just need to be patient until the timing is right.
#2:  At the end of this trial I will be a BETTER ME.  He allows us to go through trials because he knows we will come out of it stronger, better and closer to the person he needs us to become.  He also knows that we can get through it. He doesn't just let it come (shove us through the door and say good luck) he has given us prayer, others to answer those Prayers, the Holy Ghost, the comforter and last but not least the atonement of Jesus Christ, the knowledge that we aren't alone.  That he has been there and that at the end of it all we will be better and one day we might be able to be an answer to a prayer for someone else. I have many friends and family members who have been through this and have been there to offer me hugs or a shoulder to cry on. I am not alone and at some point I hope that I will be able to comfort those who are struggling and help them see some of the things that I have learned through this process.
#3: A simple SMILE carries great Power. I can’t tell you how many times I feel like I am not going to make it and a stranger or an acquaintance smiles at me and I remember that there is always hope, that there is always something to be happy for. That life is beautiful and while I may not have exactly what I want, I have exactly what I need. It also helps me realize that people see me, that I have not been forgotten.  It doesn’t seem like a smile would help a lot, but trust me when I say smiles have saved me.
So there you have it 3 things that I have learned as I have struggled with infertility. If you want to read an article that has helped me when it comes to patience, because believe me it doesn’t come easily, here is the link. This article was printed in the August 2015 LDS Ensign.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/08/young-adults/patience-more-than-waiting?lang=eng

1 comment:

Kim and Preston said...

Thank you Kelli for writing these thoughts! I am so grateful to have you helping me and hopefully we can do that for each other.